I found this recipe on my favorite CrossFit athlete’s (Julie Foucher) Instagram about a year ago, and it has since been my go-to recipe for when I need a quick batch of convenience food. Though you can find some quality protein bars at the grocery store or gas station, most of them are high in sugar and processed ingredients. Plus, they can sometimes be up to $4 for a single bar! That’s an expensive snack. These are cheap to make, keep for a long time, and are just as convenient as grabbing something out of a box. Give it a try!
- 4.5 cups of rolled oats (old fashioned or quick oats)
- 1.5 cups of peanut butter
- 1 cup of coconut cream (buy one can of full-fat coconut milk. Use the fat solids from the top of the can first, then the liquid until you have one cup total between both the fat and the liquid)
- 4 scoops of protein powder
- Dump it all in a bowl and mix it up!
- Press into a 9×13 pan
- Freeze for at least 2 hours to overnight
- Slice into bars* and wrap individually in foil or saran wrap
- Keep in refrigerator
*Makes 12-20 bars depending on how big you want them
This is just a base recipe. It is yummy all by itself, but get creative and change it up so you don’t burn out on just the one flavor.
- Use a different kind of nut butter
- Change what flavor of protein you use
- Add nuts, seeds, coconut shavings, raisins, or anything else you like in a bar